Electronic Filing Options for E-Services Related to the GST/HST
The objective of these initiatives is to enhance e-services related to the GST/HST in a number of areas, such as electronic filing, a dedicated HST website, webinars, video webcasts and a telephone
Canadian businesses (GST/HST registrants)
Start Date and End Date:
This initiative was launched in 2010 and will carry through 2011.
Responsible Department or Agency:
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- As of April 2011, registrants are able to make online adjustments to their GST/HST returns instead of
sending in a paper request.
- As of October 2010, registrants who are also Public Service Bodies’ (PSB) Rebate filers are able to NETFILE their rebate at the same time as
their GST/HST return, instead of mailing it separately.
- As of April 2011, registrants who are required to file the GST 189 form, General Application for Rebate of GST/HST for the Ontario First Nations Point-of-Sale Relief, are able to NETFILE it along with their GST/HST return.
- In October 2011, CRA is allowing non-registered PSBs to NETFILE and giving all PSBs the ability to make
Dedicated HST Website
- A dedicated website was created in the fall of 2009 to disseminate HST‑related information. A quick access directory was also added to the site to
facilitate timely access to information regarding hot topics. This website, updated in real time, was the foundation for the timely dissemination of HST information needed to assist businesses in
preparing for the HST implementation. Once this dedicated website was no longer needed, the information was integrated into the GST/HST information on the CRA website
- A total of 16 interactive online seminars (11 in English and 5 in French) were conducted between March and June 2010 with more than 4,500 participants. These webinars were well received, and
participants indicated that they would participate in future webinars.
- A series of 10 short videos were taped and made available on the CRA website and on YouTube in the spring of 2010, which provided information on
topics such as HST transitional rules, electronic filing, housing rebates and forms, for both businesses and individuals.
- The CRA developed two new video webcasts: the first outlines the place of supply rules for interprovincial transactions and HST implications, and the second updates the “Reporting Requirements for the Ontario First Nations Point-of-Sale Relief” webcast to incorporate upcoming
system enhancements. These new video webcasts were released in the spring of 2011.
Telephone Call-Out Campaign
- From March to June 2010, the CRA called approximately 100,000 business owners, located in rural areas of Ontario and British Columbia, to provide
them with basic information regarding the transition to the HST, and to raise awareness of the CRA's dedicated HST Web page, as well as other CRA communications products.
Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST)
For additional information, please contact:
Canada Revenue Agency
Director, GST/HST Returns and Rebates Processing Division
Business Returns Directorate
Assessment and Benefit Services Branch
Canada Revenue Agency